Saturday 21 February 2009

beside the seaside, beside the sea...


It's easy to forget when you're on holiday what day of the week it is. Or indeed whether which day it is actually means anthing. It's not as if any normal person will turn down a beer on the grounds that it is a Monday lunch time. Saturday afternoon in Nha Trang, however, really did feel like a Saturday afternoon. Locals played football on the beach, everyone seemed to walk round with a smile on their face and, of course, the sun was shining.

I had been planning to leave Nha Trang on Friday. Although I do really like the place, there is something a bit too 'nice' about it, too catered for the tourist market, too unlike South East Asia. So on Thursday afternoon I decided to leave the next day for Mui Ne - about a four hour journey down the coast. Then a spanner was thrown in the works - I got pissed. Let me explain. It was my first full day in the place, the weather was lovely and it would have been such a shame to be an internet cafe booking hotels rather than sitting outside enjoying a beer. So, I left it until the sun set just after six, identified a place to stay online, went back to my hotel, cracked open another beer and rang them up to reserve a room. They were fully booked. In no mood to trawl the web for alternatives, I decided to just chill out in Nha Trang a bit longer.

There is nothing to do here apart from sit in the sun and chug beer. I know there is probably more to life than that, but it is good fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment